October 2019 – Page 2 – Football Flame    

Month: October 2019

NEWS

Ronaldo nears 700 goals as England lose to Czechs in Euro qualifiers

Cristiano Ronaldo is six goals away from the 100th mark playing for Portugal team and one strike away from his 700th career goal, after he scored in a 3-0 win over Luxembourg on Friday which kept the defending champions on course for the Euro 2020 finals.The veteran star hit his 94th goal for the Portuguese and took his overall career tally to 699 when he found the target in the second half after Bernardo Silva had opened the scoring in the first period.The three points kept Portugal in second place in Group B, five points behind Ukraine who defeated Lithuania 2-0."In the first 25 minutes we were very good, very dynamic and created chances," said Fernando Santos who was marking his fifth anniversary as Portugal coach."Then we lost depth, Luxembourg became more comfortable but never created...
NEWS

Germany 2-2 Argentina: Visitors fight back from two goal down to draw

An experimental Germany team leaked two second-half goals Wednesday as a weakened Argentina side, minus superstar Lionel Messi, earned a 2-2 draw in a friendly in Dortmund.Germany flew into a 2-0 lead thanks to first-half goals by Serge Gnabry and Kai Havertz, but Lucas Alario turned the game in the second-half when he came on for Argentina.The Leverkusen striker pulled a goal back, then set up Lucas Ocampos for the late equaliser against a German team which included four debutants.Freiburg pair, defender Robin Koch, a late call-up on Monday who was thrust into a makeshift back three at the last-minute, and striker Luca Waldschmidt started.Leverkusen forward Nadiem Amiri and Schalke midfielder Suat Serdar came on to make their second-half debuts.The Germans had already been forced into a h...
LALIGA

Dembele to miss Clasico after receiving two-match ban

Ousmane Dembele will miss this season’s first Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid after he was banned for two matches by the Spanish football federation (RFEF) on Wednesday.Dembele was sent off near the end of Barca’s 4-0 win over Sevilla on Sunday for saying to referee Mateu Lahoz: “very bad, very bad”. The RFEF disciplinary committee ruled that Dembele’s reaction constituted an “attitude of contempt or disregard for referees” and suspended the Frenchman for two matches.It means Dembele is unavailable for Barca’s upcoming La Liga fixtures away at Eibar on October 19 and at home to Real Madrid on October 26. Madrid and Barca are first and second in the table after eight games.Ronald Araujo, a 20-year-old defender, and Gerard Pique both received one-match bans and will also miss the g...
LALIGA

Messi says tax problems made him want to leave Barcelona

Lionel Messi has admitted he wanted to leave Barcelona when he was under investigation from the Spanish tax authorities but insists now he intends to finish his career at the club.In an interview with Catalan radio station RAC1, Messi also said he had expected Neymar to sign for Real Madrid last summer after Barca failed to strike an agreement with Paris Saint-Germain.Messi and his father Jorge were found guilty of defrauding Spain of 4.1 million euros in taxes between 2007 and 2009, for which they paid close to 10 million euros and Messi was handed a 21-month suspended prison sentence.Asked on Tuesday night if he had ever wanted to leave Barcelona, Messi said: “In 2013-14, when I started having the tax problems, it was very difficult for me and my family.”“My children were young and we ha...
SERIE A

AC Milan sack coach Marco Giampaolo

AC Milan have sacked coach Marco Giampaolo after just seven games in charge, the Serie A club said on Tuesday."AC Milan announces it has relieved Mr Marco Giampaolo from his position as coach of the First Team," the club said in an English-language statement."The Club is grateful to Marco for the work carried out and wishes him all the best to come in his professional career."Giampaolo, 52, replaced Gennaro Gattuso during the summer, but the former European giants are 13th in Serie A -- three points above the relegation zone -- after four defeats in seven games.Former Fiorentina and Inter Milan coach Stefano Pioli is reported to be set to take over the seven-time European champions who won the last of their 18 Italian league titles in 2011. 
NEWS

Bastian Schweinsteiger announces retirement from football

Former Bayern Munich and Manchester United midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has announced his retirement from football aged 35.Schweinsteiger came through the academy at Bayern Munich, and made over 500 appearances for the Bavarian club, winning eight Bundesliga titles, seven German Cups and the Champions League before moving to Manchester United in 2015 where he won the FA Cup under Louis Van Gaal.The decorated German has been plying his trade with Chicago Fire since 2017 and will now hang up his boots at the end of the current MLS season.Schweinsteiger retires with 121 caps for the German national team, having played an instrumental role in the teams 2014 World Cup triumph.In a letter posted on his twitter page, the 35 year-old said: “Dear Fans, the time has now come, and I will be fini...
LALIGA

Real Madrid: Toni Kroos a major doubt for El Clasico against Barcelona

Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos has been ruled out of Germany's upcoming fixtures and is a major doubt for the clasico against Barcelona after sustaining a thigh injury during the 4-2 win over Granada on Saturday.A statement from Real said Kroos had injured his left thigh muscle but did not say for how long he would be out, while Spanish media reports said he would be out of action for three weeks.This timescale would mean Kroos was certain to miss Germany's friendly with Argentina on Wednesday and their Euro 2020 qualifier against Estonia on Sunday as well as Real's league game at Real Mallorca on October 19 and the Uefa Champions League visit to Galatasaray on October 22.He will then face a battle to be back in time for the clasico against Real's arch rivals Barcelona on October 26 at ...
PREMIER LEAGUE

Wolves stun Man City to keep Liverpool 8 points clear

Manchester City played on the precipice of disaster and are now in a race where Liverpool might just be uncatchable. Eight points adrift after eight games, the outlook is looking increasingly bleak.Wolves were magnificent – fully deserving of Adama Traore’s two goals in the final 10 minutes – and City were dreadful, the heavyweight boxer repeatedly punching themselves in to the ropes.Picked off at will and barely creating chances of their own, this was as bad as we have seen under Pep Guardiola. It is no exaggeration to say Wolves could have left the North West having inflicted far more damage. City ended up with five bookings, something that underpins their sense of desperation. They failed to score a home goal for the first time in 45 Premier League matches. They gifted a dizzying n...
BUNDESLIGA

Borussia Monchengladbach go top with 5-1 win over Augsburg

Borussia Monchengladbach moved top of the Bundesliga by stretching its winning run to four games with a 5-1 win over Augsburg on Sunday.Patrick Herrmann scored twice and the result was effectively decided in the first 13 minutes when Gladbach raced into a three-goal lead.Marcus Thuram surged forward and beat an Augsburg defender before cutting the ball back for Denis Zakaria in the second minute, Herrmann scored in similar fashion in the eighth, when Alassane Plea pulled the ball back, and Herrmann combined with Plea again to make it 3-0 in the 13th.A mistake from Augsburg 'keeper Tomas Koubek gifted Plea the fourth goal in the 39th. Koubek tripped over his own feet as he attempted to control Felix Uduokhai's back pass and was helpless to stop the grateful Plea from scoring.Augsburg had a ...
NEWS

Marc -Andre Ter Stegen to play for Germany against Argentina

Germany coach Joachim Low has confirmed that Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen will play for the national side in their friendly against Argentina.The 27-year-old has been in superb form again for Barcelona this season and has spoken of his disappointment at being left on the bench for the national side.Low says that Manuel Neuer remains Germany’s first-choice stopper but confirmed Ter Stegen will get the chance to impress on Wednesday in Dortmund.“Together with [goalkeeper coach] Andreas Kopke, we’ve decided that Marc will play in Dortmund and Manu in Tallinn. We’ve discussed it with both players,” he said.“I have confirmed numerous times that Manuel Neuer is our captain and our No.1 regarding the European Championship – so long as nothing extraordinary happens.” ...
NEWS

Chelsea duo Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori named in England squad for Euro 2020 qualifiers

Chelsea youngsters Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori have both been named in the England squad for the upcoming UEFA 2020 European Championship qualifiers against Czech Republic and Bulgaria.The 25-man squad was confirmed by the Three Lions on Thursday.The call-ups for Abraham and Tomori come off the back of impressive starts to the season for Chelsea, having been integrated into the first-team setup under manager Frank Lampard.Abraham has played for England previously, picking up two caps in 2017. However, he will return to the squad a much more rounded player and has excelled in the top flight for the Blues in 2019-20.On Wednesday, Abraham was on the scoresheet once again, as he helped Chelsea beat Lille 2-1 in the UEFA Champions League.Tomori's rise has been more understated, although it'...
UCL

Luis Suarez scores sensational brace as Barca come from behind to beat Inter

Luis Suarez found the best way to silence his critics at Camp Nou.With Barcelona trailing against Inter Milan in the Champions League on Wednesday, the striker scored a pair of superbly-taken goals to complete a 2-1 comeback victory against a team that had dominated the first half at Barcelona’s stadium.Despite reaching third place on the club’s all-time scoring list with 182 goals, Suarez has taken a lot of the blame for the team’s failure to win the Champions League in recent years for his lack of scoring on the road in Europe.Those doubts were behind the jeers he received last week when he was substituted after a sub-par performance in a 2-1 win over Villarreal in the league.He has responded by scoring three goals in two games, and his two against Inter showed why he’s still regarded as...
UCL

Frenkie de Jong: “It’ll Be Tough Against Inter As They Have A Great Team”

Frenkie de Jong knows that a tricky tie awaits him and his Barcelona teammates when they play host to Inter in the Champions League later on today.“When I think of Inter, I think of Wesley Sneijder and the Triplete winning team. It will be a tough match for us tonight because Inter have a great team. They have improved a lot,” he said in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.“Antonio Conte is a super manager, he won silverware with Chelsea and Juventus and now he has started very well at Inter. He will have some surprises up his sleeve so we must be ready and I think we are.“It is true that we have not played our best football in several games, especially struggling away the home. At Camp Nou, however, we are definitely strong. We have to win against Inter because we are in the toughest g...
UCL

Champions League Wrap: Real Madrid escape with draw against Brugge

Casemiro's header five minutes from time spared Real Madrid from an ignominious Champions League defeat as they came from two goal down to snatch a 2-2 draw against 10-man Club Brugge.Humbled 3-0 by Paris St Germain in their Group A opener, the 13-time European champions trailed by two goals at the halfway stage following a peculiar brace from 21-year-old forward Emmanuel Dennis.The Nigerian made a hash of the opener after nine minutes, failing to control the ball before it bounced off his leg and trickled into the net, with the goal awarded after initially being chalked off for offside.Dennis then broke free in the 39th minute after dispossessing Luka Modric and regained his composure after threatening to stumble to lift over Real goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who was substituted at half-t...
BUNDESLIGA

Borussia Dortmund expect to lose Sancho to premier league club

Borussia Dortmund expect to lose England winger Jadon Sancho to a Premier League club with both Manchester United and City reportedly tracking the teenager, director of sport Michael Zorc has admitted.After turning down a new Manchester City contract to join Dortmund in August 2017, Sancho, still only 19, made his England debut last October on the back of stunning performances for the German club.He has scored 18 goals with 29 assists in 64 games for Dortmund who in the current market can expect around 100 million euros ($109 million) for Sancho having paid eight million pounds for him after he signed a five-year deal until June 2022.According to the British media, United and ex-club City are monitoring him.Sancho has made a great start to the season with four goals and six assists in nine...
Blogarama - Blog Directory