April 2020 – Page 3 – Football Flame    

Month: April 2020

TRANSFERS

Sociedad striker Willian Jose's agent reveals Man United transfer contact

Willian Jose Da Silva of Real Sociedad.Manchester United were among the clubs who registered interest in Real Sociedad star Willian Jose in the January transfer window.That is according to the Brazilian’s agent, Nick Arcuri, who during a live chat with journalist Jorge Nicola, named United, Tottenham Hotspur, Barcelona and Newcastle as the clubs he was contacted by.The 28-year-old was in fine form in the first half of La Liga season in Spain, scoring eight goals before January 6 to prompt rumours that he could be set for a big move.United wanted a forward and ended up signing Odion Ighalo on loan from Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenhua.Arcuri, Jose's agent, lifted the lid on the transfer interest.He said: “So I tell everyone, just in this January market, he had, that’s official, al...
BUNDESLIGA

Dortmund defender Zagadou injures knee in training

Dan-Axel Zagadou of Borussia Dortmund.Borussia Dortmund defender Dan-Axel Zagadou damaged a ligament in his left knee after the club returned to training amid the coronavirus pandemic, the club said Wednesday.Dortmund said Zagadou injured the lateral collateral ligament while training, but didn’t give further details.German clubs have resumed training but they have kept players working in small groups.“Over the coming weeks, the France (under-21) international will work intensively with the club’s rehab coaches in a bid to return to fitness and — provided that the corona pandemic allows for it — help his team in the remainder of the season,” Dortmund said in a statement.Zagadou was a bench player for Dortmund at the beginning of the season but became a regular starter in November. He playe...
TRANSFERS

Nelson Semedo Reportedly eager to listen to offers to leave Barcelona

Nelson Semedo #2 of Barcelona.Barcelona right-back Nelson Semedo is reportedly eager to listen to offers to leave the club this summer and has called a halt to talks over a new contract.Mundo Deportivo report the Portugal international is open to leaving and Barcelona are said to be not ruling out a summer exit.Semedo’s current deal expires in 2022 and contract talks stalled about the same time reports of a swap with Manchester City’s Joao Cancelo appeared last week.The full-back is said to be pretty happy at Barcelona but can’t quite shake the suspicion Barcelona would sell if a good offer arrives.His contract situation means that Barcelona will insist he either signs a new deal in the summer transfer window or is sold if a deal can’t be reached.
LALIGA

Barcelona boss Setien dreams of parading UCL trophy in front of cows in hometown

Barcelona manager Quique Setien.Barcelona manager Quique Setien has told Catalan TV that he is hoping football returns soon, so that his team can start trying to win big titles, and so he can show off trophies “while walking with cows” in his hometown.It’s not the first time Setien has name-dropped the cows of Liencres, a small town in Cantabria, the place where he hails from. When first appointed manager, Setien said he was ecstatic to go from “walking past the cows in [his] village to training the best players in the world.”“I tell [the players] many times, that I’m in a hurry, that I don’t have a lot of time to lose, and I want to win the UEFA Champions League and La Liga. If it’s both of them, even better,” he said.“Of course I dream about it, and strolling around in Liencres, with the...
TRANSFERS

Man Utd prepared to make big Saul Niguez gesture in bid to sign Atletico Madrid star

Saul Niguez of Atletico de Madrid.Manchester United are ready to hand Saul Niguez a huge pay rise in order to prise the midfielder from Atletico Madrid this summer, reports The Sun.Saul has been heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent years and United are finally ready to pull the trigger on their long-standing interest.The Spain international's current Atletico £115,000-a-week deal is not due to expire until the summer of 2026 after he remarkably penned a nine-year deal back in 2017.There is a £132M release clause in Saul's current contract but United are hopeful of securing the midfielder's services for around £70M this summer.With Paul Pogba expected to leave United for either Real Madrid or Juventus at the end of the season, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen to bolster his midf...
TRANSFERS

Ousmane Dembele set to stay at Barcelona with Arsenal refusing to meet £52m transfer fee demands

Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele.Arsenal can sign Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele at a huge discount.Despite being available for just £52 million, half the initial price that he was valued at, Arsenal is set to ignore signing Ousmane Dembele in the next transfer window, according to a report in Marca.The Frenchman joined Barcelona from Borussia Dortmund for almost £140 million but he has failed to live up to his huge potential.He has been very unlucky with injuries having been struck down by a number during his time in Catalonia.He has played just nine times for the Spaniards this season and he is currently down with yet another injury that is expected to see him out until at least August.Barcelona still has hopes that he will overcome his injury struggles and become a global star in the game, but ...
LALIGA

Real Madrid Loanee Odriozola speaks about his potential return to Bernabeu

Alvaro Odriozola of Bayern Muenchen controls the ball during the FC Bayern Muenchen Training Session on April 14, 2020 in Muenchen, Germany.Real Madrid defender Alvaro Odriozola gave another interview, this time to Spanish TV #Vamos and insisted on having a conversation with Zinedine Zidane after his loan deal with Bayern Munich expires at the end of this current season.“When the season ends I will return to Madrid and have a talk with coach Zidane. I always felt support and love from him,” said Odriozola, who was also asked about how tough it is to play relevant minutes for a club as big as Real Madrid.“Yes, of course. This is Real Madrid we’re talking about! I feel honored about being a Real Madrid player and also about playing for Bayern. Not many people can say they’ve played for these...
NEWS

Italian FA plan to test players before re-opening season in May

FA president Gabriele Gravina.The Italian FA intends to test all players for coronavirus by the end of April or the start of May, paving the way for a return to training — and eventually competitive games — sometime in May.FA president Gabriele Gravina outlined this tentative plan in an interview with Sky Sports Italia, re-emphasizing the importance that the 2019-20 season be completed before the 2020-21 campaign can begin.With nearly 20,000 deaths and over 150,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19, Italy has thus far been one of the hardest hit countries in the world. The Serie A season has been suspended indefinitely since March 9.There is currently no set date for a return to anything resembling the regular schedule of training and competitive fixtures, but Gravina seemed to indicate that sec...
TRANSFERS

Real Madrid make contact with Sadio Mane over transfer bid for Liverpool star

Sadio Mane of Liverpool during the UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg match between Liverpool FC and Atletico Madrid at Anfield on March 11, 2020 in Liverpool, United Kingdom.Real Madrid have reportedly approached representatives of Liverpool's Sadio Mane over a potential move for the attacker.The Senegal international has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Bernabeu this season following an impressive campaign for Jurgen Klopp's side.Mane registered 14 goals and nine assists in England's top flight prior to the coronavirus suspension, and Los Blancos manager Zinedine Zidane is said to be a keen admirer of the 28-year-old.According to The Sun, Madrid have held informal talks with Mane's representatives, and Liverpool are supposedly bracing themselves for an official approac...
BUNDESLIGA

Bayern Munich yet to make a decision on Ivan Perisic

Bayern Munich's Croatian midfielder Ivan Perisic.Ivan Perisic’s future at Bayern Munich is still uncertain. The Croatian winger is on loan from Inter Milan, but Bayern has an option to activate a buyout clause in his loan contract for an estimated fee of around €20 million. Both Perisic and Philippe Coutinho were purchased on loan deals at the end of last summer’s transfer window when the deal for Manchester City’s Leroy Sane temporarily collapsed due to his cruciate ligament injury. While both have buyout options in their contract’s, Perisic’s is significantly cheaper as Coutinho’s would cost Bayern around €80 million.Per Italian newspaper Gazzetto dello Sport based in Milan (via SemperInter), Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said that the club’s front office has not yet discussed in...
NEWS

UEFA proposal leaves door open for season to resume in June

In this photo illustration the top level of the English football league Premier League logo seen displayed on a smartphone with a computer model of the COVID-19 coronavirus on the background.UEFA are considering a plan to hold the final stages of European competition in August - paving the way for the Premier League to complete their current season.The top flight has been suspended since March 13 due to the coronavirus outbreak, with clubs having committed to resume the campaign once it is safe to do so.Liverpool stand a record 25 points clear at the summit and need to win only two of their remaining nine games to lift the title for the first time since 1990.Everton, meanwhile, are in 12th place but stand only six points adrift of European qualification.Players would then be given a few we...
NEWS

Ex-Chelsea star Drogba offers hospital in coronavirus fight

Ivorian retired professional football player Didier Drogba.Former Chelsea star Didier Drogba has offered his hospital in his native Ivory Coast as a treatment centre for COVID-19 patients, Anadolu Agency reported according to local media.The hospital, located in the city of Abidjan, is named after Ivory Coast footballer Laurent Pokou, who died in 2016. The head of Abidjan's regional council, Vincent Toh Bi Irie, thanked Drogba for the patriotic move and said the hospital will be very useful in the fight against the virus once it is functional.The government recently announced that 13 hospitals in Abidjan and 45 in the country will be used as COVID-19 centres.Since March 11, when the first coronavirus case was reported in the country, 574 people have been diagnosed with the illness, 85...
NEWS

Former Chelsea Goalkeeper Peter Bonetti Passes Away Aged 78

Former Chelsea player Peter Bonetti.Former Chelsea and England goalkeeper Peter Bonetti has died at the age of 78 after a long battle with illness, the Premier League club announced on Sunday.Nicknamed “The Cat” for his quick reflexes in goal, Bonetti made 729 appearances for the London club in two stints between 1960 and 1979 — second on the club’s all-time appearances list behind former defender Ron Harris."Chelsea Football Club is hugely saddened to announce the passing today of one of our indisputably all-time great players, Peter Bonetti," the club said in a statement here“Our former goalkeeper had been suffering from long-term illness. All at Chelsea wish to send our heartfelt and deepest condolences to Peter’s family and friends.”Bonetti kept over 200 clean sheets for the club over ...
TRANSFERS

Inter Milan set to make a Move for Napoli star Dries Mertens

Dries Mertens of SSC Napoli during the Serie A match between SSC Napoli and FC Torino at Stadio San Paolo Naples Italy on 29 February 2020.Inter are prepared to make a move to sign Belgian striker Dries Mertens, according to a report from today’s paper edition of the Rome based newspaper Corriere dello Sport.The report details how the 32-year-old Belgian forward’s contract is set to expire with Napoli at the end of the season.Mertens met with club president Aurelio De Laurentiis at the start of March and signs suggested that a new deal was likely on the way, but since the Coronavirus pandemic has put a stop to football, discussions have been stopped.Mertens is now considering every possible option open to him, the report continues. Inter are ahead of Monaco in his mind because his choice w...
LALIGA

Liverpool made approach for Martin Odegaard last summer, claims former manager

Martin Odegaard of Real Sociedad during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Real Sociedad at Camp Nou Stadium on March 7, 2020 in Barcelona, Spain.Liverpool made an approach for Real Madrid youngster Martin Odegaard last summer, according to his former manager.Odegaard is currently on loan at Real Sociedad. However, the midfielder spent the 2018-19 season on loan at Vitesse.Odegaard’s manager at Vitesse, Leonid Slutsky, has revealed that Liverpool were looking to sign the Norwegian in July 2019.“His time at Vitesse has been very important,” Slutsky told Spanish outlet EFE.“He became one of the best players in the Eredivisie and had many offers in his pocket. Not only from Real Sociedad, but also from Liverpool and Ajax.”Odegaard has scored seven goals and registered eight assists in...
NEWS

Beating virus would be ‘real’ victory, says PSG’s Sarabia

Pablo SARABIA of PSG celebrates after putting his side 4-1 ahead during the French Cup semi-final between Olympique Lyonnais and Paris Saint Germain on March 4, 2020 in Lyon, France.Paris Saint-Germain winger Pablo Sarabia says that beating the coronavirus would be the “real victory of the season”, with most professional football shut down due to the pandemic.France’s Ligue 1 was suspended on March 13, with PSG sitting 12 points clear of Marseille at the top of the table, while having also reached the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time since 2016.But Spanish international Sarabia says public health has to come first ahead of getting back onto the pitch.“No, I’m not afraid about that (the season not restarting), it’s not the thing I am worrying about,” he told AFP.“I am thin...
LALIGA

Real Sociedad cut player salaries by 20 percent

Imanol Alguacil, head coach of Real Sociedad in the dugout before the Barcelona V Real Sociedad, La Liga regular season match at Estadio Camp Nou on March 7th 2020 in Barcelona, Spain.Real Sociedad said on Saturday that they were cutting players' wages by up to 20 per cent in an attempt to stabilise the club's budget during the coronavirus crisis. "An agreement has been reached with the first team for the reduction of their wages by 20 per cent in case the league does not resume this season, and by 5 per cent in case the season can start again," said a club statement. "This decision, taken with all of the parties concerned, helps us avoid traumatic measures for the rest of our employees and helps to balance the club's economic objectives in the face of a drop in income suffered a...
NEWS

Swiss prosecutors set to drop cases against ex-FIFA president Sepp Blatter

Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter gestures as he speaks during an interview with AFP on May 28, 2019 in Zurich.Switzerland's federal prosecutor is about to end its investigation into former FIFA President Sepp Blatter's deals with the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) to sell World Cup broadcasting rights.The Office of the Attorney General (OAG) said it has informed all the parties of its intention to close the case and was seeking ways to end it."We confirm the Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland ...considers the criminal investigation into the partial facts and allegations concerning the contractual relationship with the CFU to be complete and ready for conclusion," it said in a statement.The OAG "intends to discontinue the proceedings", it added, giving no reason for the decisio...
TRANSFERS

PSG keen on signing Juve Midfielder Miralem Pjanic

Juventus player Miralem Pjanic during a training session at JTC on March 10, 2020 in Turin, Italy.Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain are interested in signing Juventus midfielder Miralem Pjanic this summer.The Bosnian international has suffered from a noticeable dip in form, despite coach Maurizio Sarri making him a key part of his Juve team.Sarri had inititally suggested that he wanted Pjanic to have at least 150 touches of the ball every game, but the 30-year-old has looked poor in recent months.La Gazzetta Dello Sport journalist Nicolo Schira reports that PSG have a sustained interest in Pjanic and his agent Fali Ramadani has already spoken with PSG director Leonardo.The Bianconeri are planning a revolution in midfield this summer and have been linked with Gaetano Castrovilli, Sandro...
LALIGA

Barcelona deny corruption after 6 board members resign

(L to R - Top to Bottom) FC Barcelona's Members of board of Directors Emili Rousaud, Maria Teixido, Javier Bordas, Jordi Moix, Jordi Mones, Silvio Elias, Pau Vilanova, Enrique Tombas, Oriol Tomas, Manel Arroyo, Carles Vilarrubi, FC Barcelona incumbent president Josep Maria Bartomeu, Jordi Cardoner, Jordi Mestre and Susana Monge.Vice presidents Emili Rousaud and Enrique Tombas, and directors Silvio Elias, Maria Teixidor, Josep Pont and Jordi Calsamiglia all signed a joint letter of resignation on Friday night.Rousaud then gave an interview on Catalan radio station RAC1 on Friday in which he suggested someone at the club had had their "hand in the til".The resignations are the latest episode in a scandal that emerged in January when it was revealed a company called I3 Ventures, hired to moni...
Blogarama - Blog Directory