August 2024 – Page 3 – Football Flame    

Month: August 2024

Newcastle Edges Forest in Heart-Stopping Shootout
NEWS

Newcastle Edges Forest in Heart-Stopping Shootout

Newcastle managed to clinch victory over Nottingham Forest in a tense penalty shootout, propelling themselves further in the League Cup. This encounter was not just a game—it was a narrative of redemption, debuts, and sheer unpredictability that kept fans on the edge of their seats. After a lengthy 10-month hiatus due to a suspension for breaching betting regulations, Sandro Tonali made a notable return to the pitch. The Italian midfielder featured for 60 minutes at the City Ground, showcasing glimpses of the finesse that Newcastle had been missing in his absence. His participation marked a significant moment, not just for him personally but also for the team dynamics. The game kicked off with an immediate surge of excitement as Joe Willock, seizing a rebound from Nottingham Forest’...
Aaron Ramsdale To Travel For Southampton Medical
PREMIER LEAGUE

Aaron Ramsdale To Travel For Southampton Medical

Aaron Ramsdale is to travel to Southampton to undergo a medical on Thursday ahead of his switch from Arsenal, according to talkSPORT. Saints have been trying to bring in a top-quality goalkeeper this summer and they thought they had Justin Bijlow through the door after a deal with Feyenoord was agreed. However, they did not like the results of the Dutchman’s medical and pulled out of a deal to sign him. Now a fee has been agreed between Arsenal and Ramsdale for the goalkeeper to head to St Mary’s. All parties involved in the deal are confident that the deal will go through and Ramsdale will head to Southampton for his medical on Thursday. It has been suggested that Arsenal will receive a fixed £18m fee for Ramsdale which could rise to £25m if Saints survive. The England internat...
Darwin Nunez handed five-match ban for fighting fans at Copa America
NEWS

Darwin Nunez handed five-match ban for fighting fans at Copa America

Liverpool striker Darwin Nunez has been handed a five-game international ban for his role in the disorder that took place at the end of Uruguay’s Copa America semi-final against Colombia last month. Following the final whistle, the striker appeared to confront supporters seated in the Colombia section of the Bank of America Stadium in North Carolina after a brawl broke out near to where the Uruguay team’s families were seated. Uruguay’s Nunez and teammate Ronald Araujo were among the players at the forefront of the melee. Captain Jose Maria Gimenez said the players were trying to defend their families. “This is the fault of two or three people who had a few too many drinks and don’t know how to drink,” Gimenez said.Uruguay had just been beaten 1-0 by Colombia, who played the whole...
Kulusevski to captain Sweden
NEWS

Kulusevski to captain Sweden

Dejan Kulusevski has been named Sweden's National Team captain for their Nations League campaign opener with Azerbaijan. Called up alongside Lucas Bergvall for his nation ahead of the September international break alongside, with usual captain Victor Lindelof unavailable, Jon Dahl Tomasson has named Deki as his skipper for their 2024/25 Nations League opener with Azerbaijan. In League C, Group 1, Sweden will face fixtures against Slovakia, Estonia and Azerbaijan but will kick off their campaign with a trip to face Azerbaijan on Thursday 5 September (5pm UK). In his squad announcement press conference, Tomasson said on Deki, ""(I've seen) a lot of good things (from Kulusevski). It started very early when I gave him the opportunity to speak in front of the group - how he took the respon...
Lukaku lands in Italy to finalise move to Napoli and rekindle winning relationship with Conte
SERIE A

Lukaku lands in Italy to finalise move to Napoli and rekindle winning relationship with Conte

Excitement is ramping up in Naples over the rekindling of the winning combination of Romelu Lukaku and Antonio Conte. Chelsea forward Lukaku landed in the Italian city on Wednesday to finalise his transfer to Napoli, and more than 100 fans greeted the Belgian international when he arrived at the club´s clinic to complete his medical. They chanted his name and he smiled as he was escorted through the crowd. A fan fell to the ground and Lukaku stopped to help him up - much to the supporter´s delight. Italian media reports that Lukaku will sign a three-year contract at Napoli, with the Serie A club paying Chelsea 30 million euros ($33 million) plus 30% of any future transfer fee. Lukaku had his two most productive seasons under Conte at Inter. The 31-year-old Lukaku has been training awa...
Carlo Ancelotti is not worried about Kylian Mbappe’s slow start
LALIGA

Carlo Ancelotti is not worried about Kylian Mbappe’s slow start

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti is not worried about Kylian Mbappe's start at the club after the France striker failed to score in his opening two league games. Mbappe, 25, joined the LaLiga and Champions League winners as a free agent from Paris St Germain in June, bringing an end to a transfer saga that had rumbled on for years. Despite making a promising start by scoring on his debut to help Real earn a 2-0 win over Europa League champions Atalanta in the UEFA Super Cup final two weeks ago, Mbappe has yet to find the net in two LaLiga games with Real and struggled in a draw at Mallorca and in a dour home win against Real Valladolid. "His last goal was on August 14th. It has only been two weeks since, that is no reason to worry. Neither we are not worried as a club, nor him,...
Barcelona youngster signs new contract before joining Celtic on loan
TRANSFERS

Barcelona youngster signs new contract before joining Celtic on loan

Celtic have announced the signing of Barcelona defender Alex Valle on a season-long loan. The 20-year-old spent the 2023-24 campaign on loan at Levante, making 29 appearances for the team in the second tier of Spanish football, and he is now spending another season away from his parent club. However, Barcelona have signed the youngster to a new contract until June 2026. "FC Barcelona and defender Alex Valle have reached an agreement to extend the player's contract until 30 June 2026, with the option of two further seasons," read a club statement from Barcelona. "At the same time, FC Barcelona have struck a deal with Celtic football club whereby the player will represent the latter this season until 30 June 2025. There is no purchase option." Valle signs new Barcelona deal be...
Hansi Flick shares his honest verdict on Dani Olmo’s debut for Barcelona
LALIGA

Hansi Flick shares his honest verdict on Dani Olmo’s debut for Barcelona

Barcelona’s first 45 minutes against Rayo lacked spark and imagination. On a difficult ground that hasn’t favored the club in recent seasons, Hansi Flick’s team looked out of ideas after conceding an early goal. Things changed at half-time when the German coach took off Ferran Torres to bring on Dani Olmo. Coming on for his debut, the 26-year-old midfield star changed the complexion of the game and looked sharp with every touch on the pitch. Eventually, it was Olmo who netted the match-winner after Lamine Yamal’s cut-back found him in space inside the box. The ex-RB Leipzig man cut inside on his left foot and produced a Lionel Messi-esque finish on debut. Hansi Flick was understandably happy with the 26-year-old’s debut performance against Rayo. As quoted by Mundo Deportivo, the G...
Monaco centre-back Guillermo Maripan to sign for Torino
Ligue 1

Monaco centre-back Guillermo Maripan to sign for Torino

Monaco centre-back and Chile international Guillermo Maripan (30) is set to leave the Principality club to join Serie A side Torino FC on loan, according to a report from L’Equipe. The 30-year-old centre-back has been progressively frozen out by Monaco head coach Adi Hütter. The Austrian manager has left Maripan out of the matchday squad that won 2-0 at Olympique Lyonnais last Saturday. The Chilean was an unused substitute for Monaco’s season-opening 1-0 home win against promoted Ligue 1 side Saint-Etienne. Maripan joined Monaco from La Liga side Alavés in a €18m deal five years ago. He went on to feature 150 times for the Principality side, logging thirteen goals and two assists. The outlet understands that Torino would be keen to lure the experienced centre-back as part of a l...
Juventus announces Fortinet as official cybersecurity partner
SERIE A

Juventus announces Fortinet as official cybersecurity partner

Juventus FC and Fortinet, the global cybersecurity leader driving the convergence of networking and security, have signed a sponsorship agreement through which Fortinet becomes the new official cybersecurity partner for the next two seasons, through 2026. Juventus has also chosen Fortinet’s industry-leading Security Fabric platform to reduce complexity and streamline the identification and resolution of network and security issues across the club’s facilities. Home to Juventus football and its fans, Allianz Stadium has been a leader in sustainability and serves as one of the premier entertainment hubs and tourist attractions in Turin, Italy. Juventus will implement Fortinet solutions within the Continassa neighbourhood, including the Juventus headquarters, Allianz Stadium data center, J...
Kane receives European Golden Shoe
BUNDESLIGA

Kane receives European Golden Shoe

Bayern Munich and England striker Harry Kane received the Golden Shoe award as the highest goalscorer in a European football league at a ceremony in the Bavarian capital on Tuesday. Kane scored 36 goals during the previous Bundesliga season, more than any other player in Europe. Despite being the top Premier League scorer three times, Kane had never won the award. “It’s a fantastic feeling,” Kane said. “The award is for everyone. Without you, I wouldn’t be standing here today. I feel good and am looking forward to the new season. I feel a new energy. I’m very proud to receive this award.” The prize was the latest won by the striker in a long list of personal awards, but Kane is still yet to win a team title in his career. Kane went trophyless in his debut year in Munich, the first ti...
Manchester United might have found their perfect midfield partnership
PREMIER LEAGUE

Manchester United might have found their perfect midfield partnership

Manuel Ugarte is set to become Man Utd's fifth signing of the summer transfer window. It was no secret Manchester United wanted to sign a midfielder before transfer deadline day and they deserve real credit for managing to get a deal for Manuel Ugarte done. During Erik ten Hag's first summer in charge, they failed in their prolonged pursuit of Frenkie de Jong and opted to change tact entirely for the opportunistic chance to sign Casemiro. It is well-documented the Brazilian brought an added quality to the United side, but it was also clear he was not the perfect fit. He has still been good more than bad for the club, though it is obvious his stock is on the decline. United learned from the transfer this summer. Ugarte was identified as their top target at the start of the window and th...
Bayern Munich’s Manuel Neuer shares his plans for the future
BUNDESLIGA

Bayern Munich’s Manuel Neuer shares his plans for the future

At 38 years old, Manuel Neuer is showing no signs of slowing down at Bayern Munich, despite having made the choice to retire from Germany’s international squad. Bayern’s legendary goalkeeper recently hinted at what his future could potentially look like at the club.In an interview with kicker, Neuer spoke about how his retirement plans at the club could play out. “If we have a successful season with the new coaching team and new momentum, that also means it’s fun for me,” Neuer said (as captured by kicker journalist Georg Holzner). “And if it’s fun, then I’ll definitely keep going.”So, this season’s success doesn’t just decide the trajectory of the club as a whole, but also a club legends future on the grounds. Fans will be watching closely, knowing that a strong season coul...
Al-Hilal agree to sign Bayern Munich’s Kingsley Coman
BUNDESLIGA

Al-Hilal agree to sign Bayern Munich’s Kingsley Coman

According to L’Équipe, Al-Hilal have agreed to sign Bayern Munich winger Kingsley Coman. It has been well documented that Der Rekordmeister have been hopeful of offloading Coman from their wage books for the upcoming campaign.With the Frenchman earning a reported €19 million a year, Bayern have been looking for a suitor willing to pay the majority of Coman’s salary. Despite interest from Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester City, and Barcelona, neither of the three sides have looked to enter negotiations with the record champions. However, after Al-Hilal recently expressed their desire to bring the 28-year-old to Saudi Arabia, it appears a deal could be close to completion.It is understood that the two clubs have agreed on the outlines of a deal for Coman, but the winger has yet to giv...
Inter Milan Captain Pushing To Be Fit For Serie A Clash Vs Atalanta
SERIE A

Inter Milan Captain Pushing To Be Fit For Serie A Clash Vs Atalanta

Inter Milan captain Lautaro Martinez is pushing to be fit for Friday evening’s Serie A match against Atalanta.This according to Italian broadcaster Sky Sport Italia, via FCInterNews. They report that the 27-year-old hopes to at least be fit for the bench. Inter captain Martinez was not in the squad for last weekend’s match against Lecce.The Argentine was absent due to a muscle problem. Martinez had picked up the issue in training following his start in Inter’s season opener away to Genoa.The Nerazzurri captain had made a late return to training. He had in fact been the last player in the Inter squad to join up with the preseason training camp.This was the result of Martinez having won the Copa America with Argentine. Reaching all the way to the final with the Albiceleste meant tha...
Cancelo leaves Man City for Saudi club Al-Hilal
TRANSFERS

Cancelo leaves Man City for Saudi club Al-Hilal

Portugal full-back Joao Cancelo has signed for Saudi club Al-Hilal from Premier League champions Manchester City, the two clubs announced on Monday. The 30-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Barcelona, has penned a three-year deal with the Saudi Pro League title-holders. Cancelo joined Man City in 2019 from Juventus and was a key player in his first three seasons at the club. But he reportedly fell out with manager Pep Guardiola over his lack of playing time midway through the 2022-23 campaign and spent the rest of that season on loan at Bayern Munich. Cancelo won three Premier League titles, the FA Cup and League Cup at the Etihad Stadium.He also played six times in City's first victorious Champions League campaign in 2022-23. Cancelo is Al-Hilal's first high-profil...
Barcelona fear Marc Bernal suffered ACL injury vs. Vallecano – source
LALIGA

Barcelona fear Marc Bernal suffered ACL injury vs. Vallecano – source

Barcelona suspect midfielder Marc Bernal suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury in Tuesday's 2-1 win against Rayo Vallecano and could miss the majority of the season, a source told Football Flame. Bernal, 17, was forced off in the final minutes of the match in Vallecas as Barça came from behind to make it three wins from three to start the new campaign in LaLiga. However, the injury to Bernal tainted the victory, with coach Hansi Flick saying the youngster will undergo tests on Wednesday but confirming that he fears the worst. "It's a sad victory because Marc Bernal is injured and it looks not so good," Flick said in a news conference after the game. "We have to wait and see how heavy it is. We win, it's OK, but when you see the dressing room nobody is happy."It's not go...
Crystal Palace hatch plan to sign second Arsenal star after Eddie Nketiah deal
TRANSFERS

Crystal Palace hatch plan to sign second Arsenal star after Eddie Nketiah deal

Crystal Palace are interested in signing Arsenal defender Jakub Kiwior after completing a deal for Eddie Nketiah, according to reports. Nketiah is set to join the Eagles in a £30m move, with the south Londoners paying £25m up front with £5m in add-ons, but Palace want to keep raiding the Emirates. That’s according to The Guardian, who report that Palace have registered an interest in Poland international Kiwior now the Nketiah deal is being wrapped up. Arsenal have not yet decided if they would prefer a loan or permanent sale while Italian club Bologna are also believed to be interested in Kiwior this summer. The Gunners splashed out £20m to sign Kiwior from Spezia in January 2023 and he’s made 38 appearances for Mikel Arteta’s side to date. Kiwior received huge praise from ...
Brighton’s Matt O’Riley injured on debut, emerges as a doubt for Arsenal clash
PREMIER LEAGUE

Brighton’s Matt O’Riley injured on debut, emerges as a doubt for Arsenal clash

Matt O'Riley suffered a painful start to life at Brighton & Hove Albion as he was forced off with an injury just nine minutes into his full debut against Crawley Town on Tuesday night. The 23-year-old was only unveiled as a new Seagulls signing on Monday, joining the Premier League club from Scottish giants Celtic for a fee which could rise to around £30m. O'Riley was immediately thrown into Fabian Hurzeler's starting lineup as one of 11 Brighton changes from last weekend's last-gasp 2-1 Premier League win against Manchester United. However, the midfielder ha his debut ended early by a late, crunching tackle from Crawley captain Jay Williams, and he required lengthy treatment on his left ankle before he was helped off the pitch by a pair of Brighton medics. Hurzeler was lef...
Juventus working on four exits after Koopmeiners agreement
SERIE A

Juventus working on four exits after Koopmeiners agreement

Juventus are working on exits for four players after finally reaching an agreement with Atalanta for the signing of Teun Koopmeieners, reports confirm. The most high-profile player expected to leave Juventus this summer is Italy international Federico Chiesa, who has been linked with a move to both Barcelona and Liverpool in recent days. The 26-year-old has already spoken to Barca coach Hansi Flick about a possible move to Camp Nou, but Arne Slot’s Liverpool have also requested more information from Juventus. Which other players could leave Juventus this summer? La Gazzetta dello Sport confirm that Empoli have an agreement in place with the Old Lady over a permanent deal for Mattia De Sciglio, who joined the the club for €12m from Milan back in 2017. Bianconero editor R...
Blogarama - Blog Directory